Tuesday’s DJ Tip: How to be a Mobile DJ: How to use a Generator
http://www.MichelleLeeEntertainment.com I don’t normally like to use generators, but when there’s no electricity near by, you may need one. If you’ve been hired to DJ an outside ceremony, you always want to find out if you’ll have electric. If not, you may need to buy, or rent a generator to power your equip. Things you’ll need to know:
1) Make sure you get one that is strong enough to power your equipment
2) Make sure you have a long extension cord (while they’re not super loud, they do make some noise. You’ll want to make sure they are a bit aways from the ceremony area.
3) Make sure it’s filled with gas
4) Turn the choke On
5) Turn the generator On
6) Pull the cord and start er’ up!
7) Once warmed up you can turn the choke off
I’m not a big fan of using generators because I’ve been told by electricians and sound guys they could put stress on your equip. So I only use them when I absolutely have to. Plus, if it’s not strong enough you can feel the electricity pulling and if this happens it can effect the sound of the music going high and low. If you need to use one just make sure you test it out before hand.