Are you a newly engaged couple looking to hire a DJ, or band for your big day? For some of you it may be the first time hiring a DJ for an event (not to mention, one of the most important events of your life). So when hiring a DJ, what questions do you ask? How do you know if they are the right DJ for your wedding?
Throughout my DJ career, I’ve DJ’d hundreds of weddings. I’ve also performed for wedding shows, including David Tutera’s, “Your Wedding Experience Philadelphia” and The Rainbow Wedding Network. One thing I found, is many couples have no idea what questions to
ask when considering a DJ, or band, for their wedding. I decide to write this blog to hopefully help newly engaged couples find the best entertainment for their big day!
“No doubt about it: MUSIC can MAKE or BREAK a wedding celebration. It’s the HEART andSOUL of a reception and can send your guests home with happy feet — or pained grimaces! The fact that you want to hire a talented band or fleet-fingered DJ is a given.” – By Lori Seto The Knot.
When hiring a DJ, it’s important for you to ask questions! This way, you can determine if they are the right fit for you.
If you already have a DJ in mind, how far in advance should you book them? Most DJs book anywhere from six months to two years in advance depending on the demand for their services, dates, and locations. Saturday nights are especially sought after and book up quickly. “In most parts of the country… June, August, September, October are the most popular” – TheKnot.com. The demand for these favorable dates also causes the prices during these prime seasons to be higher. If you’re searching for the perfect DJ for your big day, hopefully my questionnaire below can help!
DeeJay Shelly’s Top 25 Questions to ask your DJ
1. What makes your wedding services different from the rest?
2. Do you have a website and/or videos from past events?
3. What are your wedding packages & pricing? Are there any additi
4. Do you carry liability insurance? If so, how much? (Most venues require liability insurance. Some require policies as high as $2M).
5. How many years have you been in business? And/or how long has your suggested DJ been in the industry?
6. Can you provide referrals?
7. Is a face to face meeting with my DJ included?
8. How many DJs/MCs are included in my quote? What is the role of each DJ/MC?
9. Is lighting included? If so, what kind? If not, what is the up charge?
10. Who is the DJ for my wedding? If my DJ is replaced by someone else, how far in advance am I notified?
11. Is all set up, break down and travel included in my price?
12. Do you take requests? Do you play all of the requests you receive?
13. Can you give me an example of an uncomfortable situation at a we
dding and how you were able to troubleshoot it?
14. Can you give me an example of how you go above and beyon
d for the weddings you DJ?
15. Do you have a set playlist for the reception, or do you decide on the music as you go?
16. How extensive is your music library? If you don’t have a particular song, can you downloaded it on the spot?
17. Do you carry backup equipment with you to every event?
18. What type of equipment do you use?
19. What does your set up look like?
20. How do you control the sound level at your events?
21. How do you make a wedding special?
22. How do you get the guests excited for the reception?
23. Do you mix live at your events, or do you pre-record your mixes?
24. Can you provide referrals and/or reviews about your services?
25. Do you provide microphones for the ceremony/reception? Are they included?
There may not be a right or wrong way to answer some of these questio
ns. What they may help you determine is if
a particular DJ is a good fit for your wedding. To find out how our team answers these questions, contact us today!
What’s hot in wedding entertainment?
I hope this week’s wedding blog was helpful for you! If so, don’t forget
to join me here every “Wedding Wednesday!” Happy Wedding Planning! – Michelle Lee (aka DeeJay Shelly).